Doleoni X24 introduction

alle Tips und Fragen, die bei der Neuanschaffung eines KAT anfallen

Moderator: D-Platoon

Antworten
navpatagonia

Doleoni X24 introduction

Beitrag von navpatagonia » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 21:06

First of all sorry for writing in English. My name is Norberto Alvarez, and I am the owner of what some of you know as “Doleoni”. It is a 1988 Man Kat A1 6x6 , X24 to be exact, from Belgium Army. It was originally purchased from the Army around 2012 with 9,000 km, by an Italian, took about 2 years to complete. I purchased it late 2016 with 25,000 km and have been travelling with it for a while now. It has a Man Engine D2866 water cooled, with a WSK400 gearbox.
We take typically 2 or 3 trips per year, we mainly love going off grid. Did a 45 days trip to Morocco where we did about 12,000km, and later another 12,000 km in Iceland, Faroe, and north of Europe. Previously, past 30 years, did lot of offroad in South America (I am from Argentina) in Landrovers that we prepared for high altitude travels (mainly for Bolivia in Uyuni and crossing Andes without roads just elevation maps, all between 4000 to 5000 meters elevation) We keep the truck “Doleoni” in Treviso in Italy where it was manufactured. The person that build it, competed in 5 Dakar’s in trucks in the 1990’s , very knowledgeable person, and highly recommended.
I have been reading this blog for the last 18 months, and absolutely love it. Lots of good advice and friendliness. Thanks to this blog I have been able to know personally Andre Kressner, special-mechanics.de (he installed the WSK Modification, and it is probably the best upgrade I have done on the truck, highly recommended) and also got to be friends with Marcel Kley, the guru behind it all, also did a great upgrade to cool down the gearbox using the frame of truck!. Great guys to know.
The truck I fell in love with it at first sight ( I know that some of you do not like it, because it lost the originality behind it) but the truck has personality. It has a walk way to go from living cabin to driving cabin, (that is why the front cabin modification). Previous Italian owner did a great job in making the vehicle very practical for extreme off road (taking in consideration it weights 21tons fully loaded).
Since I purchased it I made more modifications to it, to make it more to my liking (solar panels, oven, wsk mod, gearbox cooling mod, electrical system, ramp for quad, etc etc). One of the things I needed from a truck is to be able to sleep 6. So the truck has a rear master with a queen bed, and where the dinette is, it converts to a king bed, and from the top, comes down another king bed.
The truck runs on R16 tires, and it is great. It has a Syegon tire inflation system, which comes very handy, though sometimes creates headaches. The living cabin is 6.8 meters long 2.5 meters wide. Total truck is 10.2 meters long 3.8 meters tall. It carries 3 tanks of 500 liters each of diesel, and 3 tanks with a total of 1000 liters of fresh water. Currently we have about 1400 watts of victron solar panels, and a Lombardini Ecowind (we never use it ) that is a small diesel engine that runs AC compressor or 24v Alternator.
The truck has many many technical details, that I can go over if some people are interested, such as positive air pressure for cabin, 5 webasto systems, for air heating, water heating and tank heating.
You will find some pictures in instragram under Doleoni_truck. Interiors of the truck are really nice (Italian design cant go wrong) .
Currently when we travel is my wife and I, and some friends or family members tag along. We use the quad (Polaris 570) mainly to have fun, lifeboat in case truck breaks down, and also to use in the cities, since it has European license plates and we are able to use even on highways.
This August we will be travelling to west Ireland and also Scotland.
I understand that most of you love the original Kat 1, it was more hard core and 100% military spec, whereas the x24 it a bit more mixed between military spec and civilian specs of Man.
Sorry for long introduction.
Warmest regards Norberto
slide_27.jpg
Untitled11.jpg
MAN-KAT-6x6-Expedition-Truck-Presentattion-27.jpg
slide_10.jpg

navpatagonia

Re: Doleoni X24 introduction

Beitrag von navpatagonia » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 21:28

more pics
NAV_1411p.jpg
IMG_4875.jpg
DJI_0014.jpg
NAV_8577 copy.jpg
NAV_8348 - Copy.JPG
Porsmork.jpg

AndreasE

Beitrag von AndreasE » So 1. Jul 2018, 01:41

Dear Norberto,
heartfelt welcome to this forum/community and thank you for this comprehensive and very nice introduction to you, your truck and the description how you use it - as well as the pictures.

While the majority of content here is in german (no wonder with the german heritage of the truck family) it truly enriches our community when an international flavor is added. Living in Argentina and using your truck travelling throughout Europe when you have time is the exact opposite of what many Europeans do (or intend to do) with their trucks - they live in Europe and dream of driving through Argentina :-)

Feel free to engage and ask question if there areas you think we can help, but please don't hold back sharing great pictures, stories or details of your truck.

For translation between english and german (in both directions I would recommend the german startup company www.deepl.com, which consistently provide quite high quality translation services.

One piece of info I would be interested for the start is the positive air pressure in the cabin to keep dust out. I have seen this often used in trucks in Australia, but this feature is less often installed in european trucks. Could you please share a bit more info, on how this is being implemented and used in your truck?

Second question: Was the frame extended between front axle and first rear axle? It is hard to tell without other trucks as reference in the picture, but it looks like the frame was extended (I could be wrong).

with kind regards and looking forward to hear more from you and see more of your truck/trips,
Andy

navpatagonia

Beitrag von navpatagonia » So 1. Jul 2018, 03:21

Andy thanks so much about the warm welcome. I truly enjoy reading this forum, believe it or not i have read a good 80% of it.
Not all i understand 100%, as i am learning as much of i can about Man Kat's and their diversity in equipment.

the positive air pressure was installed by previous owner. their is a large 24v air compressor, with large volume per minute. it has nozzles distributed both in main cabin and rear cabin. Rear cabin is pretty air tight, as all holes with pass through of pipes and cables are sealed. all exhaust pipes of webastos equipment can be sealed also.
Yes the frame was extended, in the rear (pictures below) rear bumper when offroad gets pulled up and is lifted completely inside chassis.
also i am attaching a PDF with good info on tanks on board the truck.
i will bring the truck at some point for one year to south america, but since i have the truck in Europe i will use it there.
We were going to take the truck to Russia for the World Cup. But i was afraid of going there after Argentina being disqualified. Guess i wasn't so wrong! :oops:
feel free to ask as much as you want about the truck, i can share all info on it.

Regards norberto
IMG_0808W.jpg
IMG_0825W.jpg
IMG_0897W.jpg
IMG_0940W.jpg
3.1 E Serbatoi Sospensioni Meccanica Scaletta in CD.pdf
(417.65 KiB) 37-mal heruntergeladen

4x4-6x6

Beitrag von 4x4-6x6 » So 1. Jul 2018, 04:55

Hallo,

nun für die Lateiner per Google-Übersetzer:

(ohne Aufbereitung)

Vor allem Entschuldigung für das Schreiben auf Englisch. Mein Name ist Norberto Alvarez, und ich bin der Besitzer dessen,
was einige von euch als "Doleoni" kennen.
Es ist ein Man Kat A1 A1 6x6, genau genommen X24, von der belgischen Armee.
Es wurde ursprünglich von der Armee um 2012 mit 9.000 km von einem Italiener gekauft, dauerte etwa 2 Jahre.
Ich habe es Ende 2016 mit 25.000 km gekauft und bin schon eine ganze Weile mit ihm unterwegs. Es hat eine Man Motor D2866 wassergekühlt, mit einem WSK400 Getriebe.
Wir machen in der Regel 2 oder 3 Reisen pro Jahr, wir lieben es hauptsächlich, vom Netz zu gehen.
Wir haben eine 45-tägige Reise nach Marokko gemacht, wo wir ungefähr 12.000 km gemacht haben, und später weitere 12.000 km in Island, Faroe und nördlich von Europa. Zuvor, in den letzten 30 Jahren, haben wir in Südamerika (ich komme aus Argentinien) viel Landrover gemacht,
das wir für Höhenflüge vorbereitet haben (hauptsächlich für Bolivien in Uyuni und Überquerung der Anden ohne Straßen, nur Höhenkarten, alle zwischen 4000 bis 5000 Meter Höhe ) Wir halten den LKW "Doleoni" in Treviso in Italien, wo er hergestellt wurde.
Die Person, die es baute, konkurrierte in den 1990er Jahren in 5 Dakar in Lastwagen, sehr kenntnisreiche Person, und sehr zu empfehlen.
Ich lese seit 18 Monaten diesen Blog und liebe ihn total.
Viele gute Tipps und Freundlichkeit. Dank dieses Blogs konnte ich persönlich Andre Kressner, special-mechanics.de kennenlernen (er hat die WSK Modifikation installiert, und es ist wahrscheinlich das beste Upgrade, das ich auf dem Truck gemacht habe, sehr zu empfehlen) und auch mit ihm befreundet sein Marcel Kley, der Guru hinter dem Ganzen, hat auch ein tolles Upgrade gemacht, um das Getriebe mit dem Rahmen des LKW zu kühlen! Tolle Leute, die es wissen.
Der Truck, auf den ich mich auf den ersten Blick verliebte (ich weiß, dass einige von euch es nicht mögen, weil es die Originalität verloren hat), aber der Truck hat Persönlichkeit. Es hat einen Spaziergang von der Wohnkabine zur Fahrerkabine zu gehen (deshalb die Kabinenmodifikation). Vorherige italienische Besitzer hat einen großen Job gemacht, das Fahrzeug sehr praktisch für extreme Off-Road (unter Berücksichtigung, dass es 21 Tonnen voll beladen).
Sonnenkollektoren und Lombardini

Seit ich es gekauft habe, habe ich weitere Änderungen daran vorgenommen, um es mehr nach meinem Geschmack zu machen (Sonnenkollektoren, Ofen, WKM, Getriebekühlung, Elektrik, Rampe für Quad, usw.).
Eine der Sachen, die ich von einem Lastwagen brauchte, ist, in der Lage zu sein, 6 zu schlafen. So hat der Lastwagen einen hinteren Meister mit einem Königinbett, und wo die Essecke ist, wandelt es in ein Königsbett um, und von der Spitze kommt eine andere herunter Kingsize-Bett.
Der LKW fährt mit R16 Reifen, und es ist großartig. Es hat ein Syegon-Reifenfüllsystem, das sehr praktisch ist, aber manchmal Kopfschmerzen verursacht. Die Wohnkabine ist 6,8 Meter lang und 2,5 Meter breit.
Der gesamte Lkw ist 10,2 Meter lang und 3,8 Meter hoch. Es trägt 3 Tanks mit je 500 Litern Diesel und 3 Tanks mit insgesamt 1000 Litern Frischwasser. Derzeit haben wir etwa 1400 Watt Victron Solarmodule und ein Lombardini Ecowind (wir benutzen es nie), das ist ein kleiner Dieselmotor, der einen AC-Kompressor oder einen 24-V-Generator betreibt.
Der Truck hat viele technische Details, die ich bei Interesse an andere Personen weitergeben kann, wie zB Luftdruck für die Kabine, 5 Webasto-Systeme, Luftheizung, Wasserheizung und Tankheizung.
Sie finden einige Bilder in einem Instrugramm unter Doleoni_truck. Die Innenausstattung des Trucks ist wirklich nett (italienisches Design kann nicht schief gehen).
Derzeit, wenn wir reisen, sind meine Frau und ich, und ein paar Freunde oder Familienmitglieder mitkommen. Wir benutzen den Quad (Polaris 570) hauptsächlich, um Spaß zu haben, Rettungsboot, wenn der LKW kaputt geht, und auch um in den Städten zu benutzen, da es europäische Nummernschilder hat und wir sogar auf Autobahnen benutzen können.
Diesen August werden wir nach West-Irland und Schottland reisen.
Ich verstehe, dass die meisten von euch das originale Kat 1 lieben, es war mehr harter Kern und 100% militärische Spezifikation, während das x24 es ein bisschen mehr zwischen militärischer Spezialisierung und zivilen Spezifikationen des Menschen mischte.
Sorry für eine lange Einführung.
Herzliche Grüße Norberto

ALu
Administrator

Beitrag von ALu » So 1. Jul 2018, 07:14

Hi Norberto,

thank you very much for your introduction and that of your truck. Some here are glad to finally get more details of your vehicle, the expose from the sale did not really have "detailed details" ;-)

Could you tell me/us a bit more about the ECOWIND Gererator? We all love pictures :mrgreen: I find it very interesting that you can use it as a generator (not really needed, as you say yourself) but also as a part of the AC cooling (which would be great to have for the drivers cabin and the living cabin). Does your drivers cabin have it´s own AC?

As this the ECOWIND built into your truck: http://www.briskair.com.au/our-products/ecowind/ ?

http://mvmautos.com.au/gallery/echo-wind-gallery/

How does the cooling of the diesel engine work?
Gruß

Andreas

navpatagonia

Beitrag von navpatagonia » So 1. Jul 2018, 15:03

Hello andreas, the ecowind is a very small diesel engine. It has a display inside, where you can run and choose wether you want to have cooling or generate amps.
Basically when you decide cooling it runs an AC compressor, the same way you run a AC compressor from the engine of a car or truck.
The same when you choose to generate amps. It runs the alternator instead of the AC compressor. It is one or the other. It is very efficient in fuel consumption, and it runs in diesel, which is not common for small generators.
The AC system in Doleoni is the following. With the engine running of the truck, it has a large AC compressor, that can run both evaporators. The one inside the drivers cabin, and the one in the living cabin that belongs to Ecowind. There is a switch in the ecowind evaporator that lets you use either truck engine Compressor, or Echowind Compressor. The evaporator inside the living box, is not like the manual. It is inside a locker, and it has air ducts to all parts of the box, kitchen, dinette, bedroom, etc.

When Ecowind engine is running, it can only run the evaporator of the ecowind inside living cabin. Hope it is clear.
It is installed on top of the driving cabin, nex to air that goes into radiator of kat engine, so it is 3 meters above the ground.
I included a manual of ecowind, sorry for the language.
B2F401F0-1ECF-4C52-8BF3-42B9520249DB.jpeg
CF9BFB77-D7D7-4986-8AF2-407E18BC92BA.jpeg
048D7F74-2062-4ACE-9222-52E37E7C0D36.jpeg
B36C897F-5393-4168-9C29-20B6388066AD.jpeg
Dateianhänge
Manuale di Istruzioni, Uso e Manutenzione - Eco-wind.it.pdf
(3.57 MiB) 12-mal heruntergeladen

navpatagonia

Beitrag von navpatagonia » So 1. Jul 2018, 15:15

Sorry this is the manual of lombardini in english instead of italian.
In the picture of the truck in the ferry, you can see where the upper side of the cabin is, there is a panel with holes. This is were air goes into the radiator of engine, and also where air intake for engine is, and were the lombardini is installed.

Regards Norberto
Ecowind users manual Lombardini.pdf
(4.34 MiB) 23-mal heruntergeladen

ALu
Administrator

Beitrag von ALu » So 1. Jul 2018, 15:49

Thank you very much !
Gruß

Andreas

AndreasE

Beitrag von AndreasE » So 1. Jul 2018, 15:51

Really "Cool" :-)

IrishKat1

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » Sa 14. Jul 2018, 23:44

Hello from Ireland.
I see where you are coming to Ireland in August, I happen to live in the South West and always ready to assist a fellow MAN KAT owner. So if you want any further information on where to go and what to see, feel free to make contact.

Sean

navpatagonia

Beitrag von navpatagonia » Mi 18. Jul 2018, 02:10

Sean great to know that a fellow kat owner is available in case of need in Ireland.
when closer i will PM and see if we can meet!

regards norberto

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Mi 18. Jul 2018, 04:30

Hi Norberto

Amazing information put here for you. I am also new here after many months reading the forum but now I came here searching for advise and comments, since my wife and I decided to go for our expedition truck... that in fact I must to tell you that your truck was an inspiration to us with a couple other trucks too.
The first time that we saw it was on instagram and we just felt in love with it, we follow your instagram account since a while and we love your videos in Corse going uphill!!!
I also write in English and any information about your truck and your experience with "him" would be great! The concept of your truck is very close to the truck that we are planning my wife and I!!!

Thank you for the pictures and information!
:)
Augusto

navpatagonia

Beitrag von navpatagonia » Mi 18. Jul 2018, 05:59

augusto thanks for your kind message. We absolutely love Doleoni. My wife and I enjoy travelling with him. I keep learning more and more about the Kat, and how dispite its age, how well it runs. since we do many km each year, we are always trying to see what upgrades we can do to make the travel more comfortable and safer, and trying to keep things simple.
Where are you based? maybe one day you we can meet in person.
regards Norberto

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Do 19. Jul 2018, 04:16

Hi Norberto,

You are welcome! well, we area a mixed French-Mexican couple, 35 & 39 yo., right now we are living in central Mexico, we used to live in Baja Mexico and before that we were in South France! so I hope one day we could meet here or there", by now this forum is great, I already had many comments and advices very useful in my post viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4179 that I created to decide what truck could be the best for us...
We are looking maximum independence and freedom "off-grid" and we are totally active, what means; work, live & travel, not just off road or travel, but a mix from these three. Also in this post the size was talked, etc., very interesting.

I forgot, the pictures on instagram are very good!

Augusto!

Antworten