New Expedition Truck Project... 6x6 vs 8x8!!!

alle Tips und Fragen, die bei der Neuanschaffung eines KAT anfallen

Moderator: D-Platoon

AndreasE

Re: New Expedition Truck Project... 6x6 vs 8x8!!!

Beitrag von AndreasE » Mo 2. Jul 2018, 00:50

....but immediately we think to go to the American continent where we will be passing some years while crossing from north to south and we will be staying in each country as much as the visas will allow us to be there.....
Augusto,
in case you want to work predominantely (5 days a week) from your mobile home from each country, the visa you need won't be traveller visa's but you will need mostly likely work visa's - per country. Working digital and remotely doesn't change the structure of national visa systems. Have you looked into the feasabilty and effort of this aspect?

rgds,
Andy

egn

Beitrag von egn » Mo 2. Jul 2018, 07:12

Lepatown hat geschrieben:
So 1. Jul 2018, 20:28
Great to met the owner of the truck!
Sorry, but I am not the owner. I just met the owner and had a look at the vehicle.
Well, in fact mi wife and I are looking to have the smart due to our personal needs, but we and even the builder has the questions about how to fit exactly the smart...!
Did you considered just the use of a ramp and a winch?
Thank you for share your experience, please let us know if from your experience should be considered!
As I wrote, the Smart is sitting on a movable platform which is pushed into the garage. The movable platform itself ist moved up and down by a regular hydraulic platform.

Yes, you may have a bit more trouble with car and also other motor vehicles inside the truck, because customs and border police want to register the additional vehicle.
Gruß Emil

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Di 3. Jul 2018, 00:49

egn hat geschrieben:
Mo 2. Jul 2018, 07:12
So 1. Jul 2018, 20:28
Great to met the owner of the truck!
Sorry, but I am not the owner. I just met the owner and had a look at the vehicle.
Well, in fact mi wife and I are looking to have the smart due to our personal needs, but we and even the builder has the questions about how to fit exactly the smart...!
Did you considered just the use of a ramp and a winch?
Thank you for share your experience, please let us know if from your experience should be considered!
As I wrote, the Smart is sitting on a movable platform which is pushed into the garage. The movable platform itself ist moved up and down by a regular hydraulic platform.

Yes, you may have a bit more trouble with car and also other motor vehicles inside the truck, because customs and border police want to register the additional vehicle.
Hi, (I can not see your name)

Ok, understood, anyway thanks for sharing it. Yes I saw that the car fit the elevator with the wheels exactly aligned, that makes sense then.
For sure we understand that any extra vehicle also needs to be registered as well as the main truck, just I thought that were you, who said that in Canada the official customs telling that the smart needed to be in a separate box, or trailer if I correctly understood.
Ok, well thanks again!
Augusto :)

egn

Beitrag von egn » Di 3. Jul 2018, 07:08

Di 3. Jul 2018, 00:49
Hi, (I can not see your name)
My name is Emil.

It is contained in the signature. You probably use a tool like Tapatalk to read the forum, instead of using a regular browser. Or you use the mobile view of the forum. This suppresses part of the info, i.e. the signature.
Gruß Emil

JStefan

Beitrag von JStefan » Di 3. Jul 2018, 17:35

About the Quad,

in some Countries it is not allowed to use them inside regular traffic... example: Thai, USA etc.

Cheers

Wer, Womit, Woher.... www.tvware.de
Wer wie was wo? www.tvware.eu

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Di 3. Jul 2018, 21:32

Ok yes is what we suspected, for that reason added to our personal needs we thought that the smart would fit better our requirements.
Thanks Stefan
Augusto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JStefan

Beitrag von JStefan » Mi 4. Jul 2018, 17:18

Our 34 country experience with 2 vehicles:
All easy just double paperwork... insurance etc. Just Ecuador is a bit... you could not temp. Import 2 vehicles in one name... so Truck in my name and Scooter in Petras name... that’s it...

Cheers
Stefan

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Do 5. Jul 2018, 01:47

Stefan,
So the registration each vehicle per person was just in Ecuador or in most countries?
So based in tour experience which would be the maximum exterior dimensions for the truck, long, wide and high? The very maximum that you think would be the best choice to build a new truck as bigger as possible, and consider a trailer too.
You said in a previous post... no trailer... would you confirm it thinking that it is a real need?
Augusto

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Do 5. Jul 2018, 01:49

JStefan hat geschrieben:Our 34 country experience with 2 vehicles:
All easy just double paperwork... insurance etc. Just Ecuador is a bit... you could not temp. Import 2 vehicles in one name... so Truck in my name and Scooter in Petras name... that’s it...

Cheers
Stefan

I am using the app, so I didn’t know how to “quote” your las post. Just to let you know.
Thanks

JStefan

Beitrag von JStefan » Do 5. Jul 2018, 04:49

Hello Augusto,
Yes, the only Country so far, where it was not possible to register both vehicles in my Name was Ecuador. We are talking about the Temporary Import Permit. If you are travelling with your wife, no Problem one on you and one in the Name of your wife. Who is written in the Car Papers, is not interresting.

If you prefer having trouble in remote areas, choose a trailer. I know people who had a Landrover with a Trailer... They sold it on there way, and that was a 6 Person Family... they really needed the space for Camping... Take it with you and I prommise after a short time you will get rid of it.
Just reverse a bit, because someone blocks you in front... Driving into a nice place, on a 3km winded 3mtr wide road..turns into a dead end..or a big branch from a tree...where you later find out: no way of turning around...All that happens several times to us...
There are other solutions, you just need to find them....

Regarding Dimensions: -In dessert areas those does not matter...

Hight: max 3.70mtrs (Bridges Tunnels Branches)
With: 2,55
Length: 10mtrs max - better 8,5.
There are gravel road hairpins in the Himalaya where i needed to go 30% of the front tire over the Edge to come around, a huge Rock blocked the rest of the road Manali to Leh. It is the one and only Road - Diversion aprox. 900km and one week. Same in the Andes... There lokal Trucks for Transport are mostly 7.5to..8mtr of lenght and rounded 3.70 high.
Dark Nature Stone Tunnels ( ca.800 mtrs long) wich have curves inside or at the beginning or end...If a 90 degree turn comes at the End ... what you could not make (because your truck is to long)...you need to reverse - together with a trailer... i would not say impossible .. but not far away from Impossible. There are rocks hanging from the celing, you need to watch out and circle around... all that happens, and no one will tell you before. Forget about signs that warn you...

In short: the smaller your Truck is, the less headace it will give you when driving.

A long post ends here... sorry guys
Stefan

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Do 5. Jul 2018, 13:00

hi Stefan,

do I understand correctly - the situation on the manali road was so tight because the rock blocked the road after a rockslide?
Or is it the permanent construction of the road at that point?

regards
ralph

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Do 5. Jul 2018, 13:07

by the way ... some information for the german or european readers of this thread:

I checked my overall length incl. the FM2 Cabin. It is 10.88cm. (and could be reduced to about 10.70) by leaving enough space for the crane to still load the motorbike. That would mean the door of the cabin would not open so wide anymore.

Just making sure for the 11.00m "deadline" from MAN.

Ralph

3,70m is not possible with "standard" equipment - if no custom box is used. But I know height is cruscial.

From all my own travelling - when everybody was speaking about weight and length... what stopped me in the end - was always the height.

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Do 5. Jul 2018, 18:18

mussdochgehen hat geschrieben:by the way ... some information for the german or european readers of this thread:

I checked my overall length incl. the FM2 Cabin. It is 10.88cm. (and could be reduced to about 10.70) by leaving enough space for the crane to still load the motorbike. That would mean the door of the cabin would not open so wide anymore.

Just making sure for the 11.00m "deadline" from MAN.

Ralph

3,70m is not possible with "standard" equipment - if no custom box is used. But I know height is cruscial.

From all my own travelling - when everybody was speaking about weight and length... what stopped me in the end - was always the height.
Hi Ralph

I am seeing that the height is crucial, my wife and I are consider seriously this factor... because even when we aren’t consider right now drive in Asia in the hardest roads like the Himalayas, we want to consider it in the eventuality that our mind change in the future as well as in the future we would like to sell the truck! In any case we will be driving in all the American continent and in the Andes i saw that these size factors are as well as important!
The hardest part to us to short would be the length wished by us... 12m.

Augusto

JStefan

Beitrag von JStefan » Fr 6. Jul 2018, 03:48

Hello Ralph,
One problem was a rockslide but if you look at our picture here.. that’s a picture taken at that road... and there are many hairpins ... who we’re just on the edge...

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Das sind ein paar Bilder diese Strecke...

JStefan

Beitrag von JStefan » Fr 6. Jul 2018, 03:54

Bild

Das ist eine Stelle... links geht’s hoch... rechts 400 Meter krass nach unten... damit die Trucks aneinander vorbei kommen, gibt es Steine die in die Mitte der Straße gelegt werden... dann kippen die Trucks oben auseinander...
Es gibt Ausweichen aber dann müsste ja einer warten...

Lg

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Fr 6. Jul 2018, 08:57

Stefan - you break my heart.
This is exactly where I wanna go so desperately!

Thanks for the pictures. As I see - plenty of space for an extra axle :lol: :D

ralph

Do you have roof cameras for tunnels oder rock overhangs? I dont see any.

Is your exhaust higher than the cabin? (3,70) Or only photo perspective?

JStefan

Beitrag von JStefan » Fr 6. Jul 2018, 19:13

Yes we have a camera where I see the solarpanels and the front corner of the box.

But I use more the mirrors who are on top of driving house. Where the ventilation holes ( above the seats ) are I cut out 40 / 15cm and put in Glas.. on top of that window is a mirror were you see the the whole front of the box.
Our box has Incl. Solar 3.65 cm. The last part of the exhaust is a one screw disconnect ...

Cheers de Panama

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Sa 7. Jul 2018, 17:27

Great pictures Stefan, it is highly illustrative!
I took a look at your website and you have very interesting information, I will continue to look.
I attach a video where also you can see roads like that, maybe you drove on it since it is in the Peruvian/ Bolivian roads.
https://youtu.be/G4PVeqj2Nqg

Also I post this video that shows a truck from some member here in the forum,
https://youtu.be/S77SfmAe-m8
I just think where he can drive with this truck since it is very long... would be great if he could post directly here!!!

Thanks

Augusto

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Sa 7. Jul 2018, 21:10

@ stefan

very very smart!

JStefan

Beitrag von JStefan » So 8. Jul 2018, 22:27

Yes we know the „road of death“ in Bolivia... I drove it.
No not with the Kat, I used my bicycle... going from 4.400 to 1.600 mtrs...
Right beside is a paved road who could be used by trucks and cars.. From my perspective, it is senseless to take the truck up or down there.
Driving Landslides of a view hundert mtrs, where the detour is 500 km, makes sense. And the adventure feeling is the same.

Bild

That’s the view from Driver seat, through the Top Window ex Ventilaton...

Bild

That’s the Roof Cam view

Bild

That’s the Left side traffic Camera... great in Asia -India etc.

Cheers Guys

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Mo 9. Jul 2018, 21:06

Wie sage ich immer so Garne?

Schmart
Sinking

:mrgreen:

JStefan

Beitrag von JStefan » Di 10. Jul 2018, 00:41

Copying is the highes way of recognition....

Take care
Stefan

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Di 10. Jul 2018, 01:37

Great examples.
Sometimes I said, how many cameras all around the trucks but they are very useful!
Augusto

stahlma

Beitrag von stahlma » Mi 11. Jul 2018, 16:48

One more reason against the 8x8: you cannot park here:Bild

Gesendet von meinem STV100-4 mit Tapatalk

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Mi 11. Jul 2018, 16:54

stahlma hat geschrieben:One more reason against the 8x8: you cannot park here:Bild

Gesendet von meinem STV100-4 mit Tapatalk
Hi stahlma »

Thank you for the comment but can you please explain more about?... I do not understand why not or why the 6x6 can park there!
Still now I have not took the decision about the 6x6 or 8x8.
Still now based on the builder advice and a couple more of experts the 6x6 is wining due to the space to install more diesel tanks or Any other basic need as well as is easier mechanically... also because the heavy weight in the front part due to the second axle (if 8x8).

My wife and I will be having a meeting with him again to talk about that and the inconveniences of the 8x8 vs the 6x6.
Thanks
Augusto

Antworten