New Expedition Truck Project... 6x6 vs 8x8!!!

alle Tips und Fragen, die bei der Neuanschaffung eines KAT anfallen

Moderator: D-Platoon

ALu
Administrator

Re: New Expedition Truck Project... 6x6 vs 8x8!!!

Beitrag von ALu » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 21:25

mussdochgehen hat geschrieben:
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 20:50
Und Andreas - jetzt mal Hand auf Herz - du willst mir nicht erzählen der Kat würde kapitulieren wo dieser Trumm durchkäme?
Jetzt übertreibst du.
Nein. Der 8x8 kommt da nicht durch.

Ein Zitat eines wohlbekannten Users hier im Forum trifft den Grund für meine Reaktion ganz gut (wobei ich mir erlaubt habe, die Schreibfehler zu korrigieren):
Es ist ein Phänomen unserer Zeit, daß sich unglaublich viele Menschen dazu berufen fühlen, andere Menschen in Sein und Tun beurteilen zu müssen. Das ist so ziemlich das Dümmste und Sinnloseste was man tun kann. Niemand kennt alle Motivationen eines anderen Individuums. Auf dieses Aburteilen von Menschen ohne jedes Wissen um Hintergründe bin ich einfach allergisch.
Wer wissen will, wen ich da zitiert habe, verwende bitte die Suchfunktion.
Gruß

Andreas

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 22:54

Do 28. Jun 2018, 11:57
well...welll...well...

some more Information and it all Looks like a totally different Story. that happens if one judges others by ist own standards...

If I want to travel all the one Billion miles of roads on this planet I Need to Speed up. But If your way of conquering the globe is to park 5 days a week it is all different.

most of the People slowly travelling this planet underline the importance of living space. the larger - the better.
thus maybe in your case a different approach is more suitable:

a large and comfortable base truck and a tender. something like These:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elgWSXEMpa8

there are some small Trial Versions that can fit a 11m 8x8 - I have made drawings allready. there is also a 1 Person Version which fits crossways like a Standard quad.
I prefer those car like things over quads because they are much more comfortable and saver to drive with 2 persons in hard Terrain.

With the combination large base truck + tender your are virtually capable by going anywhere you like and still sleep well.
The only draw back is that you always Need to return to the base truck and might be forced to drive 1000miles around the mountain ridge instead of going over the pass. But at least you can race to the mountain top with your ATV.

and - Andy is right again - think intensively about your energy Problem, because Problem it is!

Ralph

In fact I know for myself, that I would be going crazy if the only vehicle at Hand would be the slow and large truck. That is why I will take the large motorbike... And I am thinking intinsively about the ATV. it is a leap in safty, Speed and adventure (offroads).
BUT...if you use it for going into towns..the bike is much better again....

... it is never easy! :think: :think: :think:
Hi Ralph

In fact we think to have an ATV Quad, but also we are thinking to switch to a smart from the 1st model up to 2007 because it is the shorter version of them all, I guess 2.55 meters as well as we saw a couple of trucks carrying smarts from this model even in transversal... I am not sure about how the car with already with 2.55m fits the living box that is supposed to be 2.55m too.
I liked this one; https://youtu.be/fM_mbVJN0Pw

About energy, even when we are digital entrepreneurs we really do not need too much energy, we have a couple of macbook pro (one brand new and low consumption) and one imac 28" (also new), in any case it is a mandatory fact and a need a "must" for us., and a couple of bikes as well will be included too!!!

Augusto!! :)

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 22:58

ALu hat geschrieben:
Do 28. Jun 2018, 16:50
Und ich dachte immer, KISS steht für "KAT is super simple" :o :D
Hi Andreas... in fact until now I do not understand what does "KISS" means, the only thing known to me is the rock band!!! :lol:

Augusto :)

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 23:06

Danke das du mir den spiegel vorhälst Andreas.

Aber nochmal - es ging nicht um die individualität - es ging mir nur um die präsentation.

Und bitte sage mir mal wo Globi lang kommt und der Kat nicht?
Radstand, Länge, Höhe, Breite, Gewicht... ich kann mir nichts denken.

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 23:10

2,55 is too long for loading it crosswise.
the max. length for that ist ... 2,30?

You need to load it in "driving" direction... costs a lot of space too...

AndreasE

Beitrag von AndreasE » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 23:12

Lepatown hat geschrieben:
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 22:58
Hi Andreas... in fact until now I do not understand what does "KISS" means, the only thing known to me is the rock band!!! :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

rgds,
Andy

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 23:18

ALu hat geschrieben:
Do 28. Jun 2018, 17:20
Augusto, I would like to give you some advice that can save you a lot of money / disappointment in the future:

Visit as many owners of trucks with large cabins as possible. You will not get all the detailed information you need to make your decisions from reading on forums, watching youtube videos or visiting exhibitions. The process needs lots of time. Even if it means to fly around half the world, it is well invested money. Your investment will for sure be between 200.000 - 400.000 EUR, so a few 1.000 EUR for travel costs, beers and restaurant are "peanuts". The advice you will get is priceless.

Also, do not believe everything that your potential builder tells you. I have seen too many high priced rigs from premium manufacturers that have small to big problems on the road, but some of the owners do not talk about the problems because they fear lawsuits or are in a lawsuit with the builder. I know a family currently in Africa that wanted the biggest truck available and believed everything that their builder told them. Their plans were ruined when they found out on the road that there is a difference between the "offroad" they meant and the "offroad" their manufacturer meant. They won a first lawsuit, but lost years and still did not get the compensation they were entitled to by court. Make sure your builder actually built a truck / cabin the size you want and try to speak to owners.

You are just starting and thinking about the size of the cabin, but there is much much more to think about when it comes to designing the interior.

The first truck you build is for your enemy.
The second truck is for your friend.
The third truck is for yourself.

I skipped the first step, but it took me some years to build a truck that I would only slightly modify if I would build a new one. I would even consider an 8x8, because I already have a 6x6 as fallback :lol: Seriously: there were a lot of situations where I thought "how would I have gotten here with an 8x8 or a trucker higher than 3,7m?". There was only one situation where I thought: that would not have happened with an 8x8. But if you can live with some downsides, use whichever chassis is your dream. The chassis will not turn your dream into a nightmare, but an unqualified builder will.

Good luck with your decisions ...
Hi Andreas!

Great advice, yes for sure we need to met some owners before... not a easy task but not impossible neither. We thought to rent one, to take a trip with the goal to see what we like and what not as well as what we would need or what is a waste for our personal needs. Unfortunately we didn't go to the Abenteur allrad, because we were looking to go too late and there were no hotels, no camper van to rent, no nothing... but for sure the next year we will be there. By now we are in communication with GekkoTruck, we liked their approach about affordable prices with good quality. In nay case I know that most of you here in the forum are self builders but I can not go trough that since my work is/will be paying the truck!!!
Of course we do not want any problem with anyone, builder and truck so yes, we will be inform ourselves as much as possible to avoid any future disappointment, I can imagine what you are telling about builder vs owner and of course I will be skipping it!

About the chassis,fo r sureI will consider bot potential models 6x6 and 8x8 but little to little I am having more the approach to the 6x6, because in fact, there will be more space between axles to install whatever "plus" we could need, etc. But tell me something, I also saw that sometimes the 8x8 model is too heavy in the front because the 1 & 2 axles, so while driving downhill in soft terrains the front- 1st axle literally buried itself in the terrain?!?! seems logic but I do not know...

Thanks for the advice!

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 23:27

Do 28. Jun 2018, 19:03
Yes.... That is another Point which is smart to be articulated.

I dont think there Are really bad Chassis.... You will get along With most of them...

But the cabin will Ruin your dream If it violates your key needs and wants. It needs to fit the Chassis.... Your Lifestyle and your driving

Ralph
Sure, for that reason we will be doing whatever we must to do to be sure that if it is smaller or bigger finally it will fit our personal needs... for example, we will be avoiding the "European old town" driving, also, the big cities in any place as much as we could, and for sure we will pass the first 5 years in the American continent. We know what off road means, not with a truck but with a American style truck AWD and something that we love about the truck is that it fits our needs and it have been great driving trough all Baja without limitations, of course with common sense,,, we know what are the limits of the vehicle too.

Thanks!

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 23:36

ALu hat geschrieben:
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 13:58
Lepatown hat geschrieben:
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 03:24
Take a look at this american truck... the watts capacity is great and the roof is not too big but the capacity I found amazing... https://earthroamer.com/xv-hd/, I am not an expert so for that reason I/we think to have as many solar panels as possible, because we need also to have a freezer, a refrigerator, etc, so our consumption yes you are correct, could be a huge deal for any person involved...
I´m a bit sceptical about the 2.100W solar panel capacity they advertise. With the roof hatches, roof form, vehicle length and available solar panels that is a very close fit. With a min. 6.8m box you can mount 8 panels with 370Wp, which will give you 2.960 Wp (rounded down edges may reduce the available space for panels). But that earthroamer truck no way has a 6.8m long roof, and you can also see some hatches / AC mounts. The max. number of solar panels on the pics is 5, which gives you 1.850 Wp with the currently most powerful panels.

My advice: with your usage profile / travel profile, plan to install a silent diesel generator from a well known company (eg. Fischer Panda, SET-Stange), and make sure the generator is built in properly (eg. it does not drown during water crossings). That way you could reduce the solar panels and also reduce battery capacity. But I would try to use renewable energy as a priority. 800 Ah/24V LiFe(Y)Po4 should be ok. You will also not need a stronger alternator. There are several threads here and on other forums about the details. Happy reading ;-)
As I said, I am not the solar panels expert, but I was also skeptical about the solar energy and hour battery bank, but maybe... sure, I will take a read about this topic! Thanks!

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 00:02

ALu hat geschrieben:
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 14:06
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 08:42
I was talking to a World traveller on the Worlds largest 4x4 adventure trade Show in bad Kissingen and he Pointen out the smart as well...
Talk to 5 and get 6 different opinions. Add some beer, that will double the opinions :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

Buy a cheap test truck and see what you really need. (If you have enough money to throw away, build the 3 steps that I mentioned earlier :mrgreen: )

@Augusto: could you please tell us about your travel experience / history? Thx.
Sure, in fact I knew this "expedition truck world & lifestyle" not long time ago, I guess a year but when we knew that we felt in love immediatelyMy experience traveling is for far smaller than all of you adding that I never had an heavy weight truck... of course without mention the Man Kat. So the closest approach to off road or off-grid approach was in Baja, Mexico, where we lived for 2 years, before that we were looking a big AWD because we knew where we will be living and we knew that many off road roads will be waiting if we really would like to go to the isolated beaches or any other place there where the man seems to be never present. So we went to the beach, into the sand, to the dry and flowing small (45 cm high) rivers, many times we found rain and of course mud terrains, but just once the truck (a Cadillac escalade AWD 5.6m long) was stuck into the mud but finally the truck by itself got out of it, downhill and uphill many times, so that's it about my experience with y wife in off road places. Also many other driving experiences with this vehicle but in standard roads and highways, the longest was 4,500 kilometers crossing all Mexico to Baja (San Jose del Cabo) and a couple more in the US but shorter and in the California area, and another just 2,500 k with my classic 1964 car which is a total different experience but as well enjoyable! That's it about my experience driving... but even without a heavy off road truck we were happy for the experience of long travels.

Augusto! :)

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 00:21

ALu hat geschrieben:
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 14:24
Regarding the Smart:

we carried a Polaris quad bike on the rear end of the truck. In the total of 12 months on the road we used it exactly 4 times. We now switched to electric bikes (not the standard ones, they are a bit ... modified :auto-dirtbike: ).

I made the "mistake" to carry the quad bike outside the cabin. I would never have imagined that even with a good cover it will get that dirty in a matter of hours. The hassle getting the bike down, the dusty cover off and then cleaning the quad was too much, so that we very seldom used it. It looked cool, but that was it. If you want to carry a motorbike or quad, try to carry it inside the cabin, like Wolfgang does. But think about the extra hassle at borders, the extra TIP / Carnet costs, extra jerry cans for petrol (or buy a Arctic Cat diesel quad) etc. When shipping the KAT to Canada, I was told that the quad has to be in a seperate box ... and stuff like that.

We will use the bicycles more often, will attract less attention and with motors we can cover larger distances. Sure, we can not ride the bicycles in national parks with wild animals, but you are not allowed to ride a quad bike in there either.

If I had a large enough cabin (= 8x8), I would try to take both, Quad bike and eBikes, or two eScooters ( = 2 x Carnet / TIP)).

In any case we do not like stuff outside or uncovered, exactly as you say, we know that the dust comes immediately and the stuff... any is like a magnet to attract dust, not even telling about mud! Surely whatever that would be the secondary vehicle it will be covered!

How did you do in Canada with the quad??? we often think also to that, even more if it will be a smart?. We will be receiving our parents and grandmothers often, so we thought that we will need a smart to go for them, even one by one... to go to the supermarket if possible ( in the US and Canada sometimes there is one close even in remote places ). We will be living there, so not a house or apartment waiting for us... so for that reason we are strongly thinking in a smart... adding that right now, for example a 2007 smart is far more cheaper than a good quad so, so I like it too!!! the disadvantage about the smart would be that is bigger, higher and of course we will need to find a solution to install a strong and high suspension to be capable to go outside and back to the truck if we are in very off road places. Did you saw this video, it is just great! I already contacted the youtuber but I fear that he do not speaks English because I just received a "thumb up"...!? take a look. https://youtu.be/PqGJgLuPZhM I even thought at the began of the video that it was a remote control!!

Augusto
:)

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 00:41

Fr 29. Jun 2018, 19:10
only to set the following into a perspective:

I am a driving fanatic - I love driving - ketcars, MTB, Racebike, motorbikes, scooters, (also BMW cevolution) offroad cars, race cars, I have driven them all - M cars, Porsches, AMG, etc etc etc...

And I use quite a variety every day...

When thinking about the perfect tender (for sighseeing with 2 people) this is my conclusion:

E bikes (but please the 45kph version!) very good up to 30km distance one way, light
E scooter very good up to speeds of 120kmh and 80km distance, silent but heavy
Scooter (min. 400cc) great for traveling crowded cities and rural areas, handy + cheap
Long distance bike riding (>250km a day) tourerbike with automatic gears and min. 100HP, comfortable and easy
ATV (not quad) for
long distance offroad...like mountain passes, desert, Trails etc...

I dont like quads at all - the way they steer...
my father broke his back on a tourist quad tour in namibia. He was flown to a german clinic tied to a bed secured not to move!

So - the result is:

fast ebikes + Motorbike + ATV :lol:

I will start with the honda crosstourer on the truck. for me it is a good compromise between town, fast rural and highway and moderate offroad.
Maybe later I will switch to 2 ebikes and an ATV, which will have a much broader range of usage.

I would lave to take a Suzuki sj413 - because it it VERY capable offroad and cheap and easy to repair.... but it is allready quite big ...

I was amoung the yachting people for 25 years.
There were people with very small tenders - 2hp motors ... they didnt use them very often, because they are crap.
but there are tenders who can safely and swiftly take you through sealevel 3 or 4 in a good 5-10mile radius. These we used every day!

so... only take things with you which are useful for what you are doing.
The best that we could select would be an ATV, I prefer too it instead to a small quad, or a smart because the reasons that I told, often we will be driving (if possible) to the supermarket, to pick up parents... but a minimal off road capacity is a "must" in any case, is I can not adapt the smart then not useful to us, but o=in the other side an ATV would be great yes, and to have fun even better, but the limitations would be while we would need a covered and licensed vehicle to go in standard roads, so we will be thinking about. But in nay case we can choice one or another and in the furure we can change it, maybe as Andreas said, the use would be almost nothing then, yes we will change it, we do not know about that but we are trying to prevent!
I am fear that electric bikes are off road limited but I do not know...
In any case we want the easier and simply mechanism to lift the vehicle, the less complex possible.
Augusto
:)

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 01:54

Fr 29. Jun 2018, 19:42
Hi Augusto...

here I found something to clearify expectations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwXjcLTzdc&t=63s (start 1:14)

It is the completely ridiculous presentation of an "expedition" vehicle whos owners find it a "pretty good job" if the truck masters a shallow river without getting its rims whet. Are you looking for such a "touring" truck, or for a real - mostly uncompromised - expedition vehicle?

Here are some nice impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJQCVzeCXh0

study the video carefully... it tells a lot about

- driving skills (way too fast throu water)
- dust on the back
- small roads
- bad construction (very high weight at the highest point of cabin) and hence shaking a lot. You simply dont want 600kg (Bike+spare+krane) moving from right to left in 3,80m height at very end of the truck 2m behind the last axle...
- vibrations in the cabin

and here is your trailer version :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhgxFtSij4
I will look the videos there, the trailer with the Russian vehicle seems pretty cool and looks great, also the "freedom" truck is great, I mean how not to like these vehicles,, and the black one... I saw it long time ago in their videos in youtube, translated into 3 different languages and in fact we liked this truck too, I have seen it trough Africa many times in many videos and in Iceland, unfortunately there are not interior pictures but overall in the exterior seems pretty nice. I agree to have the heavy weight as low as possible.
We will take a look at it but in nay case we like it all, but all we need to think in the overall project not just offorad or huge space or driving, remember that we will be living there so no house waiting for us... working too full time... we use to work far more than 8 hours per day but we want to be be in the wild nature!!!!

Thanks for the links!!
Augusto

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 02:10

ALu hat geschrieben:
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 20:05
Fr 29. Jun 2018, 19:42
Hi Augusto...

here I found something to clearify expectations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwXjcLTzdc&t=63s (start 1:14)

It is the completely ridiculous presentation of an "expedition" vehicle whos owners find it a "pretty good job" if the truck masters a shallow river without getting its rims whet. Are you looking for such a "touring" truck, or for a real - mostly uncompromised - expedition vehicle?
Sorry Ralph, aber jetzt muss ich dir mal eine vor den Latz knallen. Du kennst Peter & Gabi nicht persönlich, oder? Sonst würdest du sowas nicht von dir geben. Wir waren in Afrika zusammen unterwegs, und ich kann dir versichern, daß deine Einschätzung ziemlich daneben ist. Peter & Gabi sind Strecken gefahren, die du mit dem 8x8 unter Garantie nicht schaffen wirst. Ich hatte mit dem 6x6 mit einem kürzeren Radstand so meine Probleme, aber mit dem 8x8? Keine Chance. Die Tour nach Island war die erste Tour mit diesem Fahrzeug, und da ist man verständlichweise erstmal vorsichtig, was Wasser und Gelände angeht. Das Fahrzeug selbst sieht auf den ersten Blick etwas überdimensioniert aus, aber es ist genau das eingebaut, was Augusto haben will: PC Arbeitsplätze, ausreichend Solar & Batterie, Generator, Diesel-ATV, große Kabine - genug Platz etc. An dem Fahrzeug ist Peter sehr wenig Kompromisse eingegangen und hat den legal zur Verfügung stehenden Raum voll ausgenutzt (wobei das Farzeug nur 3,75m hoch ist, ich habe nachgemessen weil ich es nicht geglaubt habe). Wenn du magst, kannst du übernächste Woche mal bei mir vorbeikommen, und Gabi, Peter & Globi kennenlernen. Ich bin mir sicher, du würdest dabei viel lernen und dich danach nicht mehr über andere Leute lächerlich machen.

Globi kann ich Augusto uneingeschränkt empfehlen, ich würde ihn auch fahren.

@Augusto: ignore Ralph´s comment, the vehicle in the video ist very very close to your demands.
I am here to learn from all of you, no problem at all, I take the best of your comments and advices too, I must to say that I remember that I found long time ago this truck thanks to their youtube videos and I/we found it amazing, then little to little we started to inform us and to know more and more trucks that as well we found just great!
I saw the video where the truck stuck in the mud in Iceland but as well I saw videos where 8x8 are stuck in the mud or sand too, also where they are crossing really hard offroad roads and 8x8 are doing it too... so again, I am here to learn! and I know that with my wife we will be stuck too and there is not problem at all!

Zuletzt geändert von Lepatown am Sa 30. Jun 2018, 02:27, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 02:17

Fr 29. Jun 2018, 21:12
Hi Augusto,

not to be unpolite:

Andreas has been travelling with and knows the owners of "globi" Peter and Gaby. And he was angry with me because he understood that I make fun of them. But I dont. I made fun of the (to me) very exaggerated discription in the video.
Please do not worry at all about! No worries, as I said, I al listening everything because at difference of all of you I lack of experience in almost all the fields here presented in the whole forum and is for that reason that I am here... I must to tell that I doubt for at least 6 months to inscribe me into the forum, mainly for the lack of time but now here I am happy for that, knowing people that already have their own trucks, that already have deal with many issues that I even not know that exist, as well as to start to know people that know all these famous trucks and this is amazing to me and my wife!!! So no worries at all for any reason!
:D
Augusto!

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 02:25

Fr 29. Jun 2018, 23:10
2,55 is too long for loading it crosswise.
the max. length for that ist ... 2,30?

You need to load it in "driving" direction... costs a lot of space too...
Yes and I do not like it at all, too much space. How these guys fit the smart in the transversal way??? I ask myself but at least 7 cm each side is already 14cm plus the 2.5m...?
Dateianhänge
citycoupe big.jpg

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 09:44

Hi Augusto...

I am not 100% sure on what I am saying now:
I think the Smart 1. editon was the smallest (shortest) . It was allowed to park crosswise in germany.

I am 100% sure about that:
In germany (europe) Trucks are not allowed to be wider than 2,55m. (2,60 for cooling trucks).

So . .. 2,50m car plus wallthickness plus 1cm "air" --- does not work in europe.

You could make a 2,50m car fit only with a textile cover... maybe... (dont know what our police woult say to "load security"...)

If you want to "waste" as little space a possible - and load crosswise - a medium quad size or a motorbike is the maximum.

egn

Beitrag von egn » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 10:00

This is a 1st Generation SMART (I have driven one for several years), which is only 2,50m long, and the box is 2,55 m. The walIs at the garage where thinner. I have met the owner in 2006, as we have started building our vehicle, and had a detailed look at the vehicle.
W
I wouldn't waste so much space for this sized vehicle. If you wan't to live in your vehicle, every ccm of volume is precious for living and storage. We also have the space for a quad, but never bought one. After 11 years an 100.000 km we have found out that we really don't need one. We are looking for lonely places and have supplies on board for weeks. Filling up is not required very often, and can be done at supermarkets anywhere, by parking on the parking lots. For us currently bicycles are sufficient, may be e-scooters in the future.

As long as we are traveling from march to october, or in souther areas 2kWp PV on the roof, together with alternator is more than enough for our full electric household. In summer even complete warm water is supplied fully electric from excess energy. Only in winter we have to drive on average about 1-2 hours per use day. With 25 kWh battery storage we can supply everything about one week without any additional energy source. Winter performance may be improved in the future by having a furnace, which also supplies about 2-3 kWh/d of electrical energy by using thermocouples.

You have to look into your personal requirements. Advice from others is helpful to get ideas, but you have to adapt everything to match your requirements.
Gruß Emil

mussdochgehen

Beitrag von mussdochgehen » Sa 30. Jun 2018, 12:13

Hi Emil

I have a practicle question for my own planing:

If the smart is 2.50m and the Truck width 2.55 and the Wall... 15mm(?) That Leaves 10mm Air on each side.
Meaning the smart needs to be Positioned very exact on the loading Plattform.
Did That work out fine in every day use or was it timeconsuming to place it correctly?

I am woundering how much space is needed to be userfriendly.
I dont want to Waste space and i dont want thinks which Do Not fit easily get on my nervs...

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » So 1. Jul 2018, 06:02

Sa 30. Jun 2018, 09:44
Hi Augusto...

I am not 100% sure on what I am saying now:
I think the Smart 1. editon was the smallest (shortest) . It was allowed to park crosswise in germany.

I am 100% sure about that:
In germany (europe) Trucks are not allowed to be wider than 2,55m. (2,60 for cooling trucks).

So . .. 2,50m car plus wallthickness plus 1cm "air" --- does not work in europe.

You could make a 2,50m car fit only with a textile cover... maybe... (dont know what our police woult say to "load security"...)

If you want to "waste" as little space a possible - and load crosswise - a medium quad size or a motorbike is the maximum.
Hi Ralph,
agree with you but there is the probe that they put the smart into the 2.55 living box...how =, that is the question?

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » So 1. Jul 2018, 06:08

egn hat geschrieben:
Sa 30. Jun 2018, 10:00
This is a 1st Generation SMART (I have driven one for several years), which is only 2,50m long, and the box is 2,55 m. The walIs at the garage where thinner. I have met the owner in 2006, as we have started building our vehicle, and had a detailed look at the vehicle.
W
I wouldn't waste so much space for this sized vehicle. If you wan't to live in your vehicle, every ccm of volume is precious for living and storage. We also have the space for a quad, but never bought one. After 11 years an 100.000 km we have found out that we really don't need one. We are looking for lonely places and have supplies on board for weeks. Filling up is not required very often, and can be done at supermarkets anywhere, by parking on the parking lots. For us currently bicycles are sufficient, may be e-scooters in the future.

As long as we are traveling from march to october, or in souther areas 2kWp PV on the roof, together with alternator is more than enough for our full electric household. In summer even complete warm water is supplied fully electric from excess energy. Only in winter we have to drive on average about 1-2 hours per use day. With 25 kWh battery storage we can supply everything about one week without any additional energy source. Winter performance may be improved in the future by having a furnace, which also supplies about 2-3 kWh/d of electrical energy by using thermocouples.

You have to look into your personal requirements. Advice from others is helpful to get ideas, but you have to adapt everything to match your requirements.
Hi Emil,

Yes that model has 2.50 length, but how they fit it into the living box with such "precision" that is the question?

Interesting what you say about your experience, we need a vehicle that ideally could fit/drive normal roads, so not just a ATV, we will be receiving our parents maybe twice a year (each) and as you we want to go to isolated places, so here is the question that we have... we would prefer the smart abd even we already told the builder that idea!

Thanks!... interesting how the fit the car?!?!?!

egn

Beitrag von egn » So 1. Jul 2018, 10:07

I have to look if I can find images I have taken.

But, as far as I can remember there were kind of sinks at the floor, were the wheels were positioned at exact wheelbase. I don't remember it exactly, but there may have been some slight body work at the Smart to get a few more mm.
Gruß Emil

ALu
Administrator

Beitrag von ALu » So 1. Jul 2018, 10:28

Isn't that Smart a two-seater? What use is it then if you want to pick up / transport more than two guests?
Gruß

Andreas

egn

Beitrag von egn » So 1. Jul 2018, 16:11

I didn't find any images I made. But you can see a few ones at http://expeditionmotorhome.com/globetrotting-volvo/ . The Smart is on a platform that is pushed into the garage.

Yes, Smart is a 2-seater.
Gruß Emil

Lepatown

Beitrag von Lepatown » So 1. Jul 2018, 20:28

egn hat geschrieben:I didn't find any images I made. But you can see a few ones at http://expeditionmotorhome.com/globetrotting-volvo/ . The Smart is on a platform that is pushed into the garage.

Yes, Smart is a 2-seater.
Hello

Great to met the owner of the truck!
Well, in fact mi wife and I are looking to have the smart due to our personal needs, but we and even the builder has the questions about how to fit exactly the smart...!
Did you considered just the use of a ramp and a winch?
Thank you for share your experience, please let us know if from your experience should be considered!

QUESTION; how did you do while crossing the borders and registering the smart at the customs?
Some one here said that in Canada they ask to have the vehicle separated from the main truck and in a separated box/trailer??? How was your experience??
We think to test the truck in Europe after have been delivered to us for a couple of months, but immediately we think to go to the American continent where we will be passing some years while crossing from north to south and we will be staying in each country as much as the visas will allow us to be there and we think to have a small trailer too.

Thanks again!
Augusto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antworten