Fuel leak from engine.

cardude

Fuel leak from engine.

Beitrag von cardude » Do 1. Sep 2016, 21:32

My kat 5t 1978 has developed a leak from the engine. While standing still for 3 days a leak has developed from apparently the engine or around the engine fuel is leaking down the engine running down the left rear side of the oil sump. It's dripping a couple of drops a second also when not running it seams. More information on that tomorrow. I just discovered the leak moving the truck 80 meters. I think a quarter tank has run out. Now a big bucket is standing under it.

Also lately it's been blowing more and more white diesel smoke from the exhaust.
I was planing to give the truck a tune-up soon setting valves and injection. And what else I could fine tune.
I have the service manual in German but German is not my strongest language. So what sections do I look in?
Or do you already have an advice on what is wrong i plan on starting disassembling Sunday. To find the problem the old way - taking it apart until I find the leak/problem.

Kind regards Erik
Denmark
Ich schreibe auf Englisch.
Fühlen Sie sich frei, auf Deutsch zu antworten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen Erik aus Dänemark

Zentralgestirn

Re: Fuel leak from engine.

Beitrag von Zentralgestirn » Do 1. Sep 2016, 21:55

Hi Erik,

my advice to you. Open the big cover on the engine and have a look inside. There you will finde the fuel injection pump and the feed pump. But i would say its the "Flammstartanlage" it´s the small valve in the area you spottet the dripping fuel. Often it will have some internal leaks and the fuel run out of the solenoid. Easy and cheap for a fast repair, plug the fuel line with a plug. Hopefully i will remember right, you need a ROV 6S plug for the line or a VAK+M 6S if you remove the hole line and the valve. The next hydraulic dealer will sell you the plugs for a few €. Thats the fastes way to close the line till you have a new valve or leave it without the valve like me. I never missed it, because i never used it. Too much pain in my right thumb while pressing the button down. ;)

Best regards

Sebastian

Sandkater

Beitrag von Sandkater » Do 1. Sep 2016, 22:14

Please follow the link to have a look on the replacement job of that valve.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1882&p=19025&hilit=ventil#p19006 German, but Google will help

But normally it does not leak any fuel during stand still. If you find some fuel in your bucket longer than 1 hour after stopping the engine then some other reason causes the leackage.

Peter
When you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

ccharke

Beitrag von ccharke » Do 1. Sep 2016, 22:37

Erik, hvor kommer du fra. Har selv 2 KAT 1
/Keld

Sendt fra min SM-G388F med Tapatalk

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » Do 1. Sep 2016, 23:23

hørsholm nordsjælland.

planen er studenterkørsel, og 4x4 træf samt morgenbrød om søndagen.

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » Fr 2. Sep 2016, 18:02

No leaks wile stationary so probably the valve. Will find out Saturday

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » So 4. Sep 2016, 15:19

clearly leaking.
from what i have been reading, its part of the cold start system, but i cant figure out what its suppose to do. and what i can do if its broken, is it posible that this valve is causing my truck to blow excessive white diesel smelling smoke?

i have yet to remove it, because i want to get the new valve first, were is the best place to get it, just from MAN? dows anyone have the part number.?

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » So 4. Sep 2016, 16:28

i found the spare part number my self.

k0002416643

wil find out more tomorrow

luchti

Beitrag von luchti » So 4. Sep 2016, 16:45

i'm using this one .. http://www.militaerbestaende-schult.de/ ... gnetventil

works fine.

Cheers,
Mathias

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » So 4. Sep 2016, 18:25

thank you so much i have orderd 2 of them one for spare one for use.

kind regards

Erik Thørup

HähWieMetal

Beitrag von HähWieMetal » So 4. Sep 2016, 18:38

is it posible that this valve is causing my truck to blow excessive white diesel smelling smoke?

yes it is, throug this valve runs diesel in the air-intake into the engine. normaly it hits the Flammstartanlage/ Glühkerze ( don´t know the english word) and get burned to warm up the air for better starting in cold days, but if it´s running all the time it gets in the motor and doesend get burned so it came out as white smoke.

Sorry for my bad english...

best reguards, Marco

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » So 4. Sep 2016, 21:31

superb, i get how the system works now. thank you for your reply your english is probably as good as mine, i totaly get what you are saying.

now i just wait, 2 valves including shipping to denmark 52,30 € thats not expensive.

also i think its called a heaterplug.

Sandkater

Beitrag von Sandkater » Mo 5. Sep 2016, 23:39

If the valve is leaking fuel outside, as you can see in the video, the Diesel fuel is dripping directly onto the cylinder cooling fins. These are quite hot and Diesel fuel will not burn but create white smoke.

Black smoke: not enough air / too much fuel
White smoke: unburned fuel, especially when engine is cold.

If you suck an air / fuel mixture from the intake manifold, it will burn completely during normal combustion.

Peter
Winston Churchill

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » Do 15. Sep 2016, 21:48

The white smoke was coming from the exhaust cold and hot. And a lot of it. If the valve was leaking a lot into the intake manifold a very rich fuel mixture would be lead to the combustion chamber.

I have removed the old valve. Looks wrong and unoriginal. Dropped a copper gasket getting new ones tomorrow. Assembling the last tomorrow.
IMG_20160915_203525.jpg
IMG_20160915_203517.jpg

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » Fr 16. Sep 2016, 23:08

IMG_20160916_200737.jpg
A bag of 10x14x1 copper Gaskets
So a bag of Gaskets a valve and now It runs again. No more white smoke from the exhaust and it starts a lot better. Runs better idle and only the standard grey diesel smoke from the exhaust.

It's hard work raising the spare tire I found out. Not something to do for fun.

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » So 21. Mai 2017, 16:05

so i have been having a suspicion that there was still something wrong as the truck was still smoking quite a bit in idle. having thought about it for a while i came to the conclusion that the problem must be that the solenoid i changed, was letting fuel flow through into the cold start heater plugs, checking the solenoid was easy, loosen/remove pipe from the heater plug and start engine, if fuel comes out the pipe. the solenoid was open. so i did and yes the fuel was coming out, so either the brand new solenoid was defective or it was being energized. starting at the starter button, i found no faults, going back to the relay box in the engine, i found the problem, the relay had burned stock on the points, so it was always on, removing the relay fixed the problem, dissembling the relay and cleaning the points fixed the relay, put back the relay and now everything was working.

the old solenoid properly died because of the stuck relay.
the white smoke came from a constantly energized cold start system because of the stuck relay.

Sandkater

Beitrag von Sandkater » So 21. Mai 2017, 21:05

Great you found the root cause.

You had an extra punch that is normally prevented by the relay :music-rockon: Hope you will not be disappointed by the now correct performance.

Please replace the relay. Cleaning the contacts helps only for a short time as I experienced on my truck. They are cheap, all the same on the whole car. One spare part is a wise decision.

Peter
Winston Churchill

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » Mo 22. Mai 2017, 00:37

yes i have already ordered 4 relays, i did feel the truck slower now when i took it for a test drive

On the test drive after having repaired this irritating fault on the cold starting system (i had planned a 100 km test drive), after 10 km i was in the yellow area on the oil thermostat, only driving 70km/h on the highway. suddenly a huge bluish smoke cloud came out of the exhaust, the engine sounded like a runaway diesel, but with no power, and trying to stop the engine with the exhaust brake/off floor button gave no immediate response, the smoke cloud was extremely thick and covered 3 lanes on the highway with no visibility, i was afraid someone would crash, luckily no one did, i went out examining the engine and noticed no air was being blown through the coolers, so i took the slow way home only driving 50-60 km/h, when i came home i read the service manuals and found the trick with moving the wire from the transmission temperature sensor to ground, forcing the fan to run full speed witch worked. inspecting the exhaust thermostat, i found it black from fresh engine oil and the left exhaust manifold and exhaust pipes had black engine oil markings were the exhaust was a little bit leaking. i suspect the exhaust thermostat to be defective and leaking, suspecting the exhaust thermostat to have somehow sprayed engine oil into the hot manifold creating the huge amount of white smoke.

i already emailed kley-mobile-werkstatt.de requesting help with a new or parts for the exhaust thermostat.

Sandkater

Beitrag von Sandkater » Mo 22. Mai 2017, 06:28

please check this: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3544

a manual how to adjust the valve and some nice pics about it.

Maybe you get some idea if it caused your problem.

Peter
Winston Churchill

Zentralgestirn

Beitrag von Zentralgestirn » Mo 22. Mai 2017, 10:40

Hi Erik,

in the link from Peter, you can see a picture of all parts of the disassembled sensor. There is a half of an O-ring named with Viton O-Ring in a red circle. May that is your problem. If i´m right, is that the seal between the thermal rod and the valve. May you will change ist. Otherwise, if you choose a new sensor, pls let me know. I´m interested in it to have a closer look how it really works and may, with some luck i can repair it and have one spare in stock for me.

Good luck

Sebastian

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » Do 9. Nov 2017, 13:57

cardude hat geschrieben:
Mo 22. Mai 2017, 00:37
yes i have already ordered 4 relays, i did feel the truck slower now when i took it for a test drive

On the test drive after having repaired this irritating fault on the cold starting system (i had planned a 100 km test drive), after 10 km i was in the yellow area on the oil thermostat, only driving 70km/h on the highway. suddenly a huge bluish smoke cloud came out of the exhaust, the engine sounded like a runaway diesel, but with no power, and trying to stop the engine with the exhaust brake/off floor button gave no immediate response, the smoke cloud was extremely thick and covered 3 lanes on the highway with no visibility, i was afraid someone would crash, luckily no one did, i went out examining the engine and noticed no air was being blown through the coolers, so i took the slow way home only driving 50-60 km/h, when i came home i read the service manuals and found the trick with moving the wire from the transmission temperature sensor to ground, forcing the fan to run full speed witch worked. inspecting the exhaust thermostat, i found it black from fresh engine oil and the left exhaust manifold and exhaust pipes had black engine oil markings were the exhaust was a little bit leaking. i suspect the exhaust thermostat to be defective and leaking, suspecting the exhaust thermostat to have somehow sprayed engine oil into the hot manifold creating the huge amount of white smoke.

i already emailed kley-mobile-werkstatt.de requesting help with a new or parts for the exhaust thermostat.

So.
a Follow up on this problem.

IT WAS A RUNAWAY DIESEL!
the engine was running on super hot and thin engine oil, lucky i got it stopped, with the exhaust brake. the previous owner had filled the engine with Synthetic Engine Oil, the oil had decomposed and was almost as thin as diesel oil, this lead to the Fan not being engaged because the oil was to thin, so the engine got very heated up sucking in engine oil multiple places i suspect (valves and maby other places, (before the testdrive were the engine ran off there was to much diesel for the engine to get realy hot i think, because of the cold start relays sticking)

after the problem i dissembled the exhaust thermostat (i had to remove the manifold and the battery box) and apparently it was actualy a bit to open so i calibrated it to the correct opening. i assembled the truck, changed the oil to a correct miniral based oil the was the correct standard and filters and it has run perfect since (now 3000 km) the engine runs better than ever.

kind regrads from denmark

Erik

4x4-6x6

Beitrag von 4x4-6x6 » Do 9. Nov 2017, 19:06

Hallo,

für die, die nur Latein in der Schule hatten, hier der deutsche Text:

"cardude hat geschrieben:
Mo 22. Mai 2017, 00:37 Uhr
Ja, ich habe bereits 4 Relais bestellt, ich fahre den LKW jetzt langsamer, als ich ihn für eine Probefahrt genommen habe.

Auf der Probefahrt nach der Reparatur dieses komoschen Fehlers an der Kaltstartanlage (ich hatte eine 100 km Testfahrt geplant)
war ich nach 10 km im gelben Bereich des Ölthermostats und fuhr nur 70 km/h auf der Autobahn.
Plötzlich kam eine riesige bläuliche Rauchwolke aus dem Auspuff, der Motor klang wie ein durchgehender Diesel,
aber ohne Strom und der Versuch den Motor mit der Auspuffbremse zu stoppen gab keine sofortige Reaktion,
die Rauchwolke war extrem dick und vernebelte 3 Fahrspuren auf der Autobahn, ich hatte Angst, jemand würde verunfallen,
was aber glücklicherweise niemand tat.
Ich stieg aus, den Motor zu untersuchen und bemerkte, dass keine Luft durch die Kühler geblasen wurde,
so nahm ich den langsamen Weg mit nur 50-60 km/h.
Als ich nach Hause kam, las ich die Service-Handbücher und fand den Trick:
Ich kontaktierte das Kabel vom Getriebetemperatursensor mit dem Boden,
was den Ventilator dazu zwang, mit voller Geschwindigkeit zu arbeiten.
Als ich den Abgasthermostat inspizierte, fand ich es schwarz von frischem Motoröl.
Der linke Auspuffkrümmer und die Auspuffrohre hatten schwarze Motorölmarkierungen, wo der Auspuff ein bisschen undicht war.
Ich vermute, dass der Abgasthermostat defekt und undicht ist und glaube,
dass der Abgasthermostat irgendwie Motoröl in den heißen Krümmer gesprüht hat, was die riesige Menge an weißem Rauch erzeugt.

Ich habe bereits eine E-Mail an kley-mobile-werkstatt.de mit der Bitte um Hilfe für ein neues oder Teile für den Abgasthermostat geschickt.

Damit.
a Folgen Sie diesem Problem.

ES WAR EIN RUNAWAY DIESEL!
Der Motor lief auf superheißem und dünnem Motoröl, ich hatte Glück, dass ich ihn mit der Auspuffbremse angehalten hatte.
Der Vorbesitzer hatte den Motor mit synthetischem Motoröl gefüllt, das Öl hatte sich zersetzt und war fast so dünn wie Dieselöl.
Dies führte dazu, dass der Ventilator nicht eingekuppelt wurde, weil das Öl zu dünn war,
so dass der Motor sehr heiß wurde und Motor ansaugte Öl mehrere Stellen ich vermute (Ventile und vielleicht andere Orte,
(vor dem Testlauf war der Motor lief da war zu viel Diesel für den Motor wirklich heiß zu bekommen.
Ich denke, wegen der Kaltstart blieb das Relais kleben)

Nach dem Problem habe ich den Auspuff Thermostat (ich musste den Verteiler und die Batterie-Box entfernen)
und anscheinend war es eigentlich ein bisschen zu öffnen, so dass ich es auf die richtige Öffnung kalibriert.
Ich baute den Lkw zusammen, änderte das Öl in ein korrektes Mineral-basiertes Öl, das war der richtige Standard und Filter
Er ist seit (jetzt 3000 km) perfekt gelaufen, Der Motor läuft besser als je zuvor."

Powerkat
Händler

Beitrag von Powerkat » Do 9. Nov 2017, 21:09

schön das er jetzt läuft ...

jedoch wäre das Kühlgebläse selbst mit reinem Diesel fast normal angetrieben worden , denn in dem Gebläseantrieb sitzt ein kleiner "Wandler "der zum Antrieb bzw. der Übertragung lediglich eine gewisse definierte Flüssigkeitsmenge benötigt (welche das Thermostat regeln soll) ob diese Flüssigkeit dann etwas dünner oder dicker ist dürfte hier weniger das Thema sein ob er dann mit 80 % oder 90 % antreibt steht ja weniger zur Diskusion ....denke es lag dann eher generell am Abgasthermostat das es schlicht weg zu wenig zum Gebläse leitete ....

Marcel
http://www.kley-mobile-werkstatt.de
Die Werkstatt für den KAT , Beratung-Reparaturen-Umrüstungen-Teile

cardude

Beitrag von cardude » Fr 10. Nov 2017, 00:36

but when adjusting the Abgasthermostat, i found that the part that expands (the part inside) was 0.05 mm to long, so i removed 0,05 from the end of it on my lathe, and it runs correctly now. I made my own tools for the adjustment checking, on my lathe and mill. So it was letting to much oil go to the Gebläseantrieb Wandler, meaning the engine should have run to cool.

either way, incorrect and thin oil makes it run to hot, correct oil does not. how it then happens we can only guess my best guess is that the thin oil made the Gebläseantrieb not run.
as i could hear that than Gebläseantrieb was not running.
mabye the oil pressure was going other places (main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings) and not in the Gebläseantrieb Wandler because it was simply to thin. (i had no low oilpressure indication but the oilpressure sender has not been checked, (it lights before start)

thank you for the translation "4x4-6x6" my German is on a: i can read most, and make myself understandable when speaking it, but writing it i am lost.

4x4-6x6

Beitrag von 4x4-6x6 » Fr 10. Nov 2017, 01:29

Hallo,

für die Lateiner:

"aber als ich den Abgasthermostat einstellte, fand ich, dass der Teil, der sich ausdehnt (der Teil innen), 0,05 mm zu lang war,
also entfernte ich 0,05 vom Ende davon auf meiner Drehbank, und es läuft jetzt richtig.
Ich habe meine eigenen Werkzeuge für die Einstellkontrolle auf meiner Drehbank hergestellt.
So ging es zu viel Öl an den Gebläseantrieb Wandler, d.h. der Motor sollte zur Abkühlung laufen.

So oder so, falsches und dünnes Öl lässt den Motor heiß laufen, richtiges Öl nicht.
Wie es dann passiert, können wir nur vermuten, es ist meine Ansicht ist, dass das dünne Öl den Gebläseantrieb nicht laufen ließ.
Wie ich das hören konnte, lief der Gebläseantrieb nicht.
Mabye der Öldruck verlor sich an anderen Stellen (Hauptlager, Hublager, Nockenlager) und nicht in den Gebläseantrieb vom Wandler,
weil es einfach zu dünn war. (Ich hatte keine niedrige Öldruckanzeige, aber der Öldrucksender wurde nicht überprüft (er leuchtete vor dem Start).

Danke für die Übersetzung "4x4-6x6" mein Deutsch ist nicht ganz a+++.
Ich kann aber das meiste lesen und mich verständlich machen, wenn ich es spreche, aber beim schreiben ich bin verloren."

Antworten