Hello from Canada

alle Tips und Fragen, die bei der Neuanschaffung eines KAT anfallen

Moderator: D-Platoon

Antworten
ric7d90

Hello from Canada

Beitrag von ric7d90 » Sa 23. Sep 2017, 03:50

Hi,
I will write in English as I don't speak German, hope it is ok. Google translate has helped me a lot so far finding information about MAN KAT on this forum.

My name is Eric, I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and I have just purchased a 1977 MAN Kat1 that was already in Canada.

Bild

It needs some work as it has been sitting outside for the last 2-3 years but seems to be in a relative good shape.

In order to get it back in shape I think I will need a little bit of help as there are not many of these trucks in Canada.

I have found the TDV (1-2) for the truck, but I'm still looking for electrical diagrams and service/parts manual, are they available ?

The previous owner has removed/lost the battery door, any clues on where I could find one ?

I'm sure I will have many more questions as i start working on the truck; thanks in advance for the help

Eric

AndreasE

Re: Hello from Canada

Beitrag von AndreasE » Sa 23. Sep 2017, 21:20

Hi Eric,
welcome to the communities of KAT owners and KAT interested people. Seemingly, you have leapfrogged the "i am interested" stage and immediatly jumped to the much more exciting stage of "owning" one of the most capable off-road trucks. Given that you are living in a country the size of Canada, your ability to use the truck "appropriately" (to its capabilities) might be much better than most of us in Europe will ever have - see it as a kind of envy statement :-)

If interested, we can run you through the assessment stages of checking the various parts of the truck through and either fix those things which need to be fixed, or prepare it in a way which slows down further derogation as time moves on. After all, we all want to keep our trucks as long as technically (and economically) feasible.

As you are living in a comparatively "cold" country, we would welcome your experience in those kind of periods which would complement our experiences over here, so that we all learn together and broaden our understanding.

ok, let's start to get more practical:

1) Documentation
You seem to have the operating manual in german language TDv 2320/043-12 (TDv stands approx. for Technical Manual).
The complementary manuals are:
TDv 2320/043-22 - Maintenance activities & cycles (helpful)
TDv 2320/043-31 - Description of maintenance work items (not really necessary)
TDv 2320/044-34 - Repair Manual for the 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 (very helpful)
TDv 2320/043-50 - Parts list of the truck (very helpful)
Tdv 2320/044-80 - Manual for checking the condition of the brake system for the 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 (I guess you will find this useful as well)
TDv 2815/057-50 - Parts list of the Deutz engine (very helpful)
TDv 2540/016-15 - Webasto heater (operating manual, repair manual, parts list)

These are the books to recommend:
1) Peter Ocker - Die Alleskönner (the allrounder) - consider this "the bible" of the community with regards to the history, development and original intention of the MAN KAT 1 series
2) Tankograd - MAN Tactical trucks of the Follow-On Generation of the German Bundeswehr (german/english), shorther than Peter Ocker's book, but insightful as well if you are interested in the history of the development
3) Deutz repair manual for the commercial series of the Deutz engine (german, engines are used by the military and in commercial settings)
4) Deutz - identifying issues and errors of the Engine (german)

2) The door to the battery compartment:
You might contact some dealers which did disassemble trucks for generating used spare parts, or you just open up a post in the wanted section in the forum. Beside the door replacement in itself, the missing door seems to indicate that the truck was kept outdoor for most of its recent life. As the door has a sealing that water can't get in while driving through (up to 120 cm of) water, the very same sealing doesn't let water get out which eventually gets collected inside the battery compartment - increasing the speed of rust in the door from inside and in the compartment itself. Just check the floor of the battery compartment. If extensive rust is visible in the bottom part and the cages of the batteries, then this was the likely root cause.

3) storage
Please, by any means. Try to get the truck into a garage so that it isn't exposed to rain, sun, etc. while just standing around for most of the year. Nothing reduces the maintenance effort more effectively than to get the truck in a storage facility or garage. Be aware, that the truck produces extensive smoke after a cold start for a few minutes, so check for your relationship with your neighbors first (and potentially your wife as well). This is driven by the construction of being an air-cooled engine.

4) Initial check
I'd recommend that you do the usual level 1 and level 2 maintenance activities and to be checked items as listed here, plus checking the brake system as a start. After all, the truck should be road worthy. A summary of the initial checks and work items (in german, pls use google translate) can be found here

5) Photo's
Given the distance you are quite away from the center of the community, which is logically in Germany. So, the more you document with pictures, the easier it is for us to identify potential issues and support you more precisely.

6) Spare parts
Many of the parts are still available from MAN (the trucks are still in service), but you will obviously try to avoid spending really premium prices as much as possible. For many parts, commercial alternatives are available, but sometimes you will need special parts which are only available for KAT's. Given that you won't have other KAT trucks in Canada, your transportation overhead to get it from Europe to Canada might be significant.

Enjoy your new toy and share a lot of pictures of it in the great Canadian nature

cheers,
Andy

ric7d90

Beitrag von ric7d90 » So 24. Sep 2017, 03:06

Hi Andy,
Unfortunately due to the shear size of the truck, it will have to live outside for now ;(

I will look up the books you mentioned and post a list in the wanted section.

Thanks

Eric

A N D R E A S

Beitrag von A N D R E A S » So 24. Sep 2017, 19:50

Hello Eric,

a warm welcome to you! Maybe its a good idea to plan your next holidays in 2018 at september where we have our yearly gathering - the best chance to see and to learn and find new friends.

We wish you much fun with your new truck.
A N D R E A S

IrishKat1

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » Mo 25. Sep 2017, 18:56

ric7d90 hat geschrieben:
Sa 23. Sep 2017, 03:50
Hi,
I will write in English as I don't speak German, hope it is ok. Google translate has helped me a lot so far finding information about MAN KAT on this forum.

My name is Eric, I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and I have just purchased a 1977 MAN Kat1 that was already in Canada.

Bild

It needs some work as it has been sitting outside for the last 2-3 years but seems to be in a relative good shape.

In order to get it back in shape I think I will need a little bit of help as there are not many of these trucks in Canada.

I have found the TDV (1-2) for the truck, but I'm still looking for electrical diagrams and service/parts manual, are they available ?

The previous owner has removed/lost the battery door, any clues on where I could find one ?

I'm sure I will have many more questions as i start working on the truck; thanks in advance for the help

Eric
Hello Eric and wish you luck with your new purchase. A few years back I obtained a similar model which came from a collector in Italy. I would love to see some more pictures of your MAN especially the steel frames around the cab. I am here in Ireland.
Regards,
Sean

Antworten